Privacy and Security Policy
This web site is an official Texas Department of Motor Vehicles (TxDMV) computer system operated for authorized use only and provided as a public service. This policy describes TxDMV's privacy and security practices regarding information collected from visitors to the site, including what information is collected and how that information is used.
Regardless of the information being transmitted to TxDMV, we will protect all such information consistent with applicable law. The privacy of our customers and the security of this site are of utmost importance to TxDMV. This policy applies to all pages beginning with www.txdmv.gov and www.dmv.state.tx.us.
Note: This policy does not apply whenever visitors leave the TxDMV domains and follow a link to another site, including the sites of state agencies and local governments.
Notice of Monitored Use
This site is monitored to ensure proper operation, to verify the function of applicable security features and for similar purposes. Unauthorized attempts to upload information, change information on this site, or otherwise cause damage are strictly prohibited and may be punishable under Texas Penal Code Chapters 33 (Computer Crimes) or 33A (Telecommunications Crimes).
Information We Collect Automatically
If you visit a TxDMV site to read or download information:
- Your web browser automatically sends us (and we may retain) information such as the:
- Internet domain through which you access the Internet;
- Internet Protocol address of the computer you are using;
- type of browser software and operating system you are using;
- date and time you access our site; and
- Internet address of the site from which you linked directly to our site.
- We will use this information as aggregate data to help us maintain this site, e.g., to determine the number of visitors to different sections of our site, to ensure the site is working properly, and to help us make our site more accessible and useful.
- We will not use this information to identify individuals, except for site security or law enforcement purposes.
- We will not obtain personally-identifying information about you when you visit our site, unless you choose to provide such information.
Other Information We Collect
If you choose to identify yourself (or otherwise provide us with personal information) when you use our online forms:
- If you request information, services, or assistance, we may disclose your personal information to those third parties that (in our judgment) are appropriate in order to fulfill your request. If, when you provide us with such information, you specify that you do not want us to disclose the information to third parties, we will honor your request. Note, however, that if you do not provide such information, it may be impossible for us to refer, respond to or fulfill your request.
- If your communication relates to a law enforcement matter, we may disclose the information to law enforcement agencies that we deem appropriate.
Release of Information
All information collected or maintained by TxDMV is subject to the provisions of the Texas Public Information Act (Chapter 552, Texas Government Code). The identity of most members of the public who communicate with state agencies through the Internet is confidential under Texas law. Exceptions to confidentiality may be reviewed at Texas Government code, Section 552.137.